Plum + Spilt Milk review


A couple of months ago I had an allergic reaction at Plum + Spilt Milk because the chef added butter to my vegetables and then again in the replacement vegetables. As a way of making amends, I was invited back for dinner and an overnight stay at the Great Northern Hotel with breakfast. Unfortunately there were still a few hiccups during our return (we found cooked cling film in the steak and they still served me eggs even though I'm allergic to them), but I thought I'd still share the good bits from the weekend.

Great Northern Hotel
Situated right by the heart of King's Cross station, you'll find this elegant hotel. We were given the best type of rooms known as the Cubitt, which has high-ceilings and a view of the bustling King's Cross travellers. It was a very comfortable night's stay, with the King-sized bed, the roll top bathtub in the vintage-style bathroom and the peacefulness in the hotel.


Plum + Spilt Milk
Directly underneath the hotel, you'll find Plum + Spilt Milk restaurant and three bars. With a vast selection of delicious dishes, you'll be tempted to order them all. For our complimentary dinner, we were seated at near the back, with a nice round table. The staff were attentive and lovely, especially Giuseppe. Throughout dinner, I was given quite a few alternatives, so didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. 


For starters, I went for the roasted aubergine and pepper soup. It was bursting with vibrant colours and presented beautifully. For my main course, I chose the pork chop with pease pudding, braised white cabbage & bacon and a special dairy free sauce. It was a little on the salty side for me but I loved all the flavours, which made it deliciously comforting and perfect for autumn. My partner and I ordered a portion of rosemary-salt fries, which were true to it's name but also too salty for us. Luckily, they were kindly exchanged for unseasoned fries - which I could have eaten all day. The skinny fries were crunchy, golden and perfectly cooked - I would definitely recommend!

For dessert, there wasn't much choice for me but I was happy with the selection of sorbet flavours and was able to try a scoop of each. Served in three different shades of pink to purple, there was a scoop of strawberry, cherry and plum. I think plum was my favourite with it's deep sultry colour and hint of natural sweetness. Overall, apart from my partner finding cooked cling film in his steak, dinner was delightful.


Breakfast
There's nothing quite like a comforting breakfast to start the day. Served from 8am-11am on the weekends, you'll be able to have a lie-in before wandering downstairs. From hearty to healthy, Plum + Spilt Milk offer a range of dishes for you to choose from including vegetarian and a couple of vegan options. I went for the Full English, which originally comes with eggs, black pudding, baked mushroom, toast, sausage, smoked bacon and a slow roasted tomato. Because of my never ending list of allergies, they kindly let me swap the eggs, black pudding and mushroom for crushed avocado, baked beans and an extra sausage.

When my breakfast arrived there were eggs on my plate. I would have loved to have eaten the poached eggs if I could. My plate was quickly taken away and returned eggless and with my extra sausage still missing. If I had known they were just going to scoop the eggs off and not change the plate - I would have done that myself. On the plus side, the crushed avocado and chilli was delicious with the white toast - I would definitely recommend ordering a side of it. Although the service wasn't as smooth as the previous night, breakfast at Plum + Spilt Milk is nice way to complete your overnight stay.

A big thank you to Plum + Spilt Milk and Great Northern Hotel for having us. 


Plum + Spilt Milk - Great Northern Hotel Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular Posts