Kaia at The Ned review


Found just around the corner from Bank station, and disguised by grey mortar, is The Ned. A five star hotel in the city of London with spa treatments and eight different restaurants to choose from, this place used to be a banking hall. 

Upon entering, you'll be greeted by the high, warmly-lit ceilings and live music. With eight different cuisines to choose from, including Californian, Italian, French, Pan-Asian, you will have a wide variety to choose from as they also refresh their menus weekly.

On this occasion, I chose the all you can eat Asian-Pacific inspired feast at Kaia. For £45 per person, you can enjoy freshly-made sushi, robata, tempura, poke bowls, create your own ramen, desserts and a glass of Prosecco. It's only available at weekends but there is also the option to go a la carte.

From spicy tuna maki to seared salmon nigiri, each one is delicately made and if you have allergies like me, the chefs will happily make you ones without mayo or try and cater where possible. I definitely surprised the chef when I asked for eight pieces as he predicted two!


I loved the tuna and salmon sashimi. Each one was fresh and thickly sliced and served on a bed of thinly sliced daikon. I really enjoyed the salmon avocado roll (without the mayo) – ended up eating 16 pieces! My favourite would be the seared salmon nigiri as it just melted in my mouth and the smoky flavour with the combination of the sweet dollop of sauce on top was delicious.


The salmon poke bowl was beautifully presented but the main components (charred corn, edamame beans, sesame seeds and matchstick nori) made it quite dry. The pieces of mango did help as it gave bursts of sweetness throughout but I think a dressing would compliment it even more.



The desserts for me were quite disappointing. There was only one vegan option (if you don't count the fruit), which was the coconut pudding with tropical compote. The chia seeds and desiccated coconut left a very dry aftertaste. The compote was refreshingly zingy and would have balanced this out if there had been more of it. The fresh slices of pineapple and watermelon turned out the be the best part of dessert in the end.



I would have liked to see more vegan options other than just fruit but maybe one day it will make it on to the menu.

Overall, the service was great and the food was memorable. I definitely recommend visiting and I hope to return soon.


Comments

Popular Posts