Cafe Van Gogh review


This quaint, little cafe in Oval is definitely worth a visit. With a brick-clad interior, vibrant decor and free wifi, it's a great place to grab a cup of coffee and do some work. With only a few tables upstairs and dimmed lighting, it creates a more intimate space making it a perfect spot for a romantic dinner or a quiet catch up with friends.

Cafe Van Gogh are 100% vegan and their menu changes every 6-8 weeks so there will always be something new to try.


I decided to visit in December so I could try their Christmas menu, £35 for 3 courses + a glass of mulled wine or 2 courses for £25. I opted for the 2 courses and chose the Seitan 'Beef' and Chestnut Bourguignon Pie, Braised Red Cabbage, Potato Dauphinoise for my main and Double Chocolate Brownie, Rum and Pear Compote, Oat Cream. 


The pie was delicious. The crust was beautifully golden, crispy and so tasty! The filling as also flavoursome but I was very disappointed to only find one piece of seitan and half a chestnut as I was looking forward to this combination. The rest of the pie was filled with mushrooms which were good but not what I was craving. Even my friend who detests mushrooms, finished the whole pie!




Dessert for me sounded amazing but I wasn't keen on the sugar-crunch texture throughout the brownie. It was incredibly sweet but I loved the rum and pear compote with the oat cream. The rum was smooth and complemented the pear so well. It was just the right amount to give you that warm feeling in the back of your throat without overpowering the pear.



Despite my luck with the pie filling, I will be going back to Cafe Van Gogh to try their other dishes. If you're planning on going this month, they have a special offer of 3 courses for £25 for Veganuary.

Comments

Popular Posts