Rascals review

Tempted by an offer on Timeout, a friend and I decided to go for dinner at Rascals in Shoreditch. With a pretty-in-pink interior and decorated with faux green plants, it's very instagrammable. Our £10 offer included a main, a side and drink, where we could choose from a range of meat, vegetarian and vegan dishes.




For drinks, my friend ordered the Yuzu Pretty. Made from white brandy, white rum, yuzu, matcha, limes and whites this green cocktail sure does pack an alcoholic punch in a martini glass! As I'm a fan of yuzu but not the alcohol, the waitress and bartender kindly created the most delicious mocktail using yuzu and frozen raspberries and even adjusted the sweetness to my liking. It was fabulous!



For our mains, we chose the Lobster Mac n' Cheese and Crispy Cod. When the cod arrived, it was cold and the smell was so pungent and similar to stale fish that I had to notify the waitress. She kindly let me change it for the Sticky Pork Belly, which was much better. Both our dishes were very filling that I struggled to finish mine. If the pork belly skin had been crispy rather than soft and chewy, I would have enjoyed it more. The carrots were also too over pickled for me. 



For our sides we chose the Charred Miso Broccoli and Sweet Potato Wedges. Our waitress was very accommodating and let me change the dressing for a vegan ranch sauce. I really enjoyed the generous and tasty portion of sweet potato wedges, it was very filling but went really well the with vegan dip. My friend thought the ranch sauce that the broccoli was served with didn't go well with the miso as it was already salty enough. It was a shame that was served cold but it was quickly changed once we told them. 

I would say Rascals is a great and trendy place to hang out and have a drink as it has a great ambience with current music and impeccable service. Although the food was presented well, it was a shame that the taste didn't match its appearance. I think there is still room for improvement but I do have to praise them for having some tasty vegan options!

Comments

Popular Posts