Celebrating at Galvin La Chapelle

For my sister's birthday, I wanted to take her out for a dinner but had no idea where to go. After many weeks of searching and finally finding a menu I thought Marianna would be happy with, I decided to book a table at Galvin La Chapelle. A French restaurant situated not too far from London Liverpool Street station.

After her eventful arrival of falling inbetween the gap of the train and platform (click here to see), we arrived at the restaurant. Still not knowing where she was being taken, I think she was pleasantly surprised by the décor :)

We were seated at a table, at the end of a long sofa, and offered olives and our glasses of brut. It was a perfect little spot for conversation but not so that we were completely isolated. 
As part of the £29pp deal, we were able to choose a starter, a main, a dessert and also included a glass of brut. Now I'm not a fan of champagne but the light, refreshing taste made it very easy to convert me!
We both went for the foie gras royale, port wine jelly, date purée and lemon croutons for starters, which was presented beautifully. The texture of the foie gras was like a mousse - light and creamy and went very well with slices of bread. I loved the crunchy lemon croutons! I would have eaten a whole bowl of them :)
For our mains, I went for the wild garlic and grelot onion risotto, which turned out to be a very vibrant green and very garlicky, but was nonetheless delicious.
Marianna went for the poached rabbit with spring greens. It was cooked but seemed a bit pink on the inside.
For our final course, we went for the pannacotta with mango and poached crassane pear & pistachio cake and chocolate ice cream. 
I found the cake to be quite dry but enjoyed the rose-flavoured pear. The mango jelly cubes were incredibly zingy - enough to replace your morning coffee! But my sister said it went well with the pannacotta. 

When booking the table, I requested a small birthday dessert for my sister but after desserts, I assumed they had forgotten. I also whispered it to one of our waiters, who wished her happy birthday instantly but I started to wonder if I should ask. Just after he brought out our pot of peppermint tea, he brought out a mini birthday dessert, which was a lovely surprise for both of us :)
It was a little bowl of dark chocolate truffles and lemon and blackcurrant macaroons sat on a pile of cocoa nibs :)

Thank you Galvin La Chapelle for a great meal, I think my sister had a lovely birthday :)

Comments

Popular Posts